[Libav-user] Some application statically link to Libav, without releasing itself in an object format to allow relinking?

Genghuang Wang wangtianjiao.wang959 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:19:42 EET 2018

Hello

I have found it which claims to be "source code" of the FFmpeg at
http://dldir1.qq.com/weixin/android/FFmpegJNI.zip in
http://www.wechat.com/en/source_code.html .

After unzip it, I have found some static library in the path of
\FFmpegJNI\FFmpegJNI\jni\ffmpeg\android\arm\lib\libavcodec.a ,and some
other static libraries which are also part of Libav released under
LGPL

According to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic

Does the LGPL have different requirements for statically vs
dynamically linked modules with a covered work? (#LGPLStaticVsDynamic)
For the purpose of complying with the LGPL (any extant version: v2, v2.1 or v3):

(1) If you statically link against an LGPL'd library, you must also
provide your application in an object (not necessarily source) format,
so that a user has the opportunity to modify the library and relink
the application.

So the application statically link to libavcodec and some other LGPL
libraries by FFmpeg, without releasing itself in an object format to
allow relinking. If that is the case, maybe the application is
breaking the license of LGPL which the FFmpeg releases in?