[Libav-user] FFMPEG/LIBAV Audio File Conversion for C#/Unity Game

Justin Gold justin.gold at morphadox.com
Fri Jan 12 03:12:43 EET 2018

Hello,

I am a game developer working on a cross platform rhythm game for iOS and Android that does audio processing of music from the user’s music library. My current dilemma is that the game engine I am using (Unity) only natively supports importing.wav, .mp3, and .ogg files, but I need access to other commonly used audio file formats too (i.e. .m4a).

I came across ffmpeg because of its ability to convert audio file formats and managed to get the executable working from the command line as the instructions explained, however I need to be able to convert files dynamically at runtime from the game executable instead.

Does anyone know if there are any 3rd party wrapper libraries for ffmpeg/libav in C#? I’ve tried searching online but couldn’t find any good open source projects that were still active. The main feature that I need is the ability to convert various audio file formats into a compatible audio format for my case. I likely wouldn’t be needing many other features (other than possibly reading a song’s meta data).

If not, then does anyone know how to best approach a project like this? Or does anyone have experience in building a tool like this for C# or a game engine like Unity? What might the scope and cost of such a project be?

Thank You,

Justin Gold

CEO | Morphadox Inc.

www.morphadox.com