[Libav-user] does mp2 (MPEG audio layer 2) -format contain timecodes?

Sebastian Guttenberg sgutten at ms2-gmbh.de
Mon Mar 5 11:19:26 EET 2018

Thanks a lot Carl Eugen for the helpful reply!

> Do you mean timestamps?
> Generally, the container provides timestamps, mp2 is a codec.
> For decoded audio, "counting" seems the right approach.

Yes, I meant timestamps. Ok, thanks, that makes sense that they are in the container. But was "decoded audio" a typo? We are talking about "mp2 encoded audio", right?
So you are saying that for the raw audiostream without container, "counting seems the right approach", correct?

I can get the container-format with 'ffprobe -show_format' , right? For my mp2-file in question it shows me
format_long_name=MP2/3 (MPEG audio layer 2/3)
So it’s the same container as usual mp3-files and therefore should contain timestamps, is this correct?

>> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/libav-user/2018-February/010945.html
>
> I don't know the answer, you were using old FFmpeg (which is
> not supported here) and it looked like "wrong mailing list“.

Oh, ok, sorry, had installed it last fall, wasn’t aware that it’s already old… Will get a new version. Thanks!
And about „wrong mailing list“, any recommendations for the correct one? ffmpeg-devel?

Sebastian