[Libav-user] Issues with avcodec_send_packet stalling

Omar Álvarez omar.alvarez at cinfo.es
Thu Nov 15 14:30:58 EET 2018

I am trying to decode a h264 3Kx3K video file using NVDEC and ffmpeg 4.0.

I am having a problem when avcodec_receive_frame() returns AVERROR(EAGAIN),
and I try to get the next packet with avcodec_send_packet(). It sometimes
takes 40-60 ms to return, which is really slow and results in frame
stuttering.

I followed more or less the hardware decoding example.

What could be the cause of this? Did I make a mistake? Is AVERROR(EAGAIN)
common when using local video files?