[Libav-user] Documentation issue VideoToolbox HWAccelIntro wiki page / Apple?

JP May jpm at smhk.com
Thu Jan 24 17:19:43 EET 2019

Something my team has been worried about these weeks:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro>

Notice it says explicitly:

VideoToolbox ¶ <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro#VideoToolbox>
​VideoToolbox <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/videotoolbox>, only supported on macOS. H.264 decoding is available in FFmpeg/libavcodec.

Is that a typo:  should it read macOS and iOS OS ?

Or is it literally only on Mac version?

(1) note the top chart “Platform API Availability" suggests both.

(2) note however the second chart “FFmpeg API Implementation Status” says:
VideoToolbox:Decoder:Standalone is ”N”

However, I do not know what “Standalone” means under FFmpeg-API

(We are using all of FFmpeg, the latest, compiled in to C, for use in iOS.)