[Libav-user] Creating seekable video files without seekable IO

Ondřej Perutka perutka.ondrej at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:20:15 EEST 2019

po 23. 9. 2019 v 23:13 odesílatel Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
napsal:

> Why don't you serve the mjpeg streams as mjpeg?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean the raw MJPEG video
muxer (labeled as "mjpeg")? I didn't know that there can be any timestamps
in raw mjpeg files. Are the timestamps directly in the JFIFs?

Just a reminder - I need the result to be downloadable and seekable and I
also need the container to be widely supported by players.

I've tested the "mjpeg", "smjpeg", "mpjpeg" muxers. The "mjpeg" container
was working in some players but other players were completely ignoring
timestamps and playing the content as fast as they could. VLC wasn't able
to play it at all. Most of the players weren't able to seek in it. The
"smjpeg" was working fine in most of the players except QuickTime. Seeking
was working as well here. The multipart format wasn't usable at all (as I
suspected). Anyway, the biggest problem with these formats is in file
associations. The file format/extension wasn't recognized on Windows, Mac,
iOS and Android. This would just lead to a bunch of confused users.