[Libav-user] Decoding with limited CPU power

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:38:28 EEST 2020

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 13:53, Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>
wrote:

> Not through the standard APIs, as implementations of FIFOs within
> input modules vary depending on the input.  In my case (which is the
> UDP source), I added instrumentation to libavformat/udp.c which once a
> second calls av_fifo_space(s->fifo) and reports it back to my
> application.  This allows me to continuously track whether the FIFO is
> getting backlogged (common if the pipeline is falling behind
> realtime), and take action before hitting the overflow condition.
>
> Devin
>
> --

Thanks Devin, found the right place, but finding frames to skip seems to be
taking more CPU time.

Is there any way of building ffmpeg libraries to a) minimize any other
stuff that isn't being used, and b) raise priorities on threads that are
decoding?
Is it faster to run with static libraries or dynamic?  Anything!

We've got a 2Mbps stream with just I and P frames, no B frames.  It's just
Standard Definition, and it can just about keep up but not quite.  So I
need to be able to shave off 1% here, 2% there, etc.

Cheers,
Simon