[Libav-user] AVPacket serialization

Hamilton Tobon Mosquera htobonm at eafit.edu.co
Fri Jun 26 17:59:13 EEST 2020

Hi there,

I'm working on an IoT project that uses libav to capture streams of
audio/video and sends (using other library) them to the network, over
UDP. The AVPackets are received (by the other library) as a bunch of
bytes and interpreted by libav again in the other end. I was looking up
for a libav built-in way to serialize an AVPacket and send it to the
network, but couldn't find it.

Is there such a thing?.

Is this idea of serializing an AVPacket and reading it at the other end
a good idea?.

If by using UDP some AVPacket loses some information, would it be
reconstructible again by libav?.

In case that I have to use my own serializer, I don't know what
information in the AVPacket struct is relevant and what information is
not. Could you please tell me what fields are mandatory for proper
reconstruction of the packet at the other end?.

If you can point me to some documentation I would be more than grateful.

Thank you.

Hamilton.