[Libav-user] RTMP output issue

william keeling WilliamKeeling at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 17:42:11 EEST 2020

I have an issue that has me stumped. I have written a program than creates a flash video container (H.264 video and AAC audio streams) and writes it to a URL. If the URL is a file it is and playable and uploadable with no issues. But if the URL is a RTMP then it is stream but with buffering waits. But if the URL is pipe:1 passed to ffmpeg -i - -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/<key> works just fine.

Here is the setup code:

                int status=0;

 //  setup format context and io context

//  tried with and without avformat_network_init();

//            avformat_network_init();

                if ((status = avio_open(&io_ctx, filename, AVIO_FLAG_WRITE)))

                                {

                                fprintf(stderr, "Could not open output file '%s' (error '%s')\n", filename, av_err2str(status));

                                return -1;

                                }

                avformat_alloc_output_context2(&flv_frmtctx, NULL, "flv", NULL);

                if (!flv_frmtctx)

                                {

                                fprintf(stderr, "Could not allocate output format context\n");

                                return -1;

                                }

                flv_frmtctx->pb = io_ctx;

                if (!(flv_frmtctx->url = av_strdup(filename)))

                                {

   fprintf(stderr, "Could not copy url.\n");

                                return -1;

                                }

The I understand the FFMPEG command is just a passthru with just copy of both streams and no changes to either stream or container but it streams just fine.

So any ideas what I am doing wrong or missing in my code that is being done by FFMPEG?