[Libav-user] Passing Range header in RTSP PLAY

Richard Lince richard.lince at bluebox.video
Sat May 30 13:02:38 EEST 2020

Hi Sebastian,

This is something that is missing in ffmpeg, if i recall correctly the
issue is that the seek_timestamp must be an int and devisable by
AV_TIME_BASE within rtspdec.c.
Anyhow, what is really needed is an external text string option for the
RTSP "Range:..." field, users can then do external calculations and
populate this header themselves as text.
All VMS systems differ in what they expect in the range header and none
in my opinion play by the RFC2326 rules completely, an external text
string gives you options.

For us, we had to modify rtspdec.c in a few places to accommodate this
functionality, setting the 'AVFormatContext->opaque' field to non null
points to our external range generated sting.
See rtspdec->rtsp_read_play(AVFormatContext *s)

We then build our modified version of libavformat.dll

FYI, whilst we were in rtspdec we also allowed multiple PLAY commands to
be sent without the PAUSE/PLAY as an optimization option.

Cheers,
Richard.