[Libav-user] Difficulty decoding libvpx VP8 with Alpha as RGBA

Craig Turner turner.craig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 01:08:58 EET 2021

You are absolutely right - the format is AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P, so it seems
the alpha channel is not being decoded. Is there something specific I need
to do to ensure it does indeed get decoded?

The codec is indeed the "libvpx VP8" and the (presumably well-known) file I
am using is dancer1.webm, which has alpha_mode = 1:
    Input #0, matroska,webm, from '.\dancer1.webm':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : libwebm-0.2.1.0
      Duration: 00:01:02.83, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 520 kb/s
        Stream #0:0(eng): Video: vp8, yuv420p(progressive), 640x360, SAR
1:1 DAR 16:9, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
        Metadata:
      alpha_mode      : 1

Regards,
Craig