[Libav-user] Error running av_hwdevice_ctx_create: ENOMEM

Lucas Nogueira lnogueira at rossvideo.com
Thu Mar 4 00:34:50 EET 2021

Hi,

I am trying to perform h264 video encoding on a GPU using the ffmpeg's vaapi library.

I have been following this this example from ffmpeg Github repo: https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/doc/examples/vaapi_encode.c

I installed ffmpeg with –enable-vaapi, but whenever I try to run av_hwdevice_ctx_create, it returns -12 error which maps to an out of memory message. I am also unable to successfully run avcodec_find_encoder(AV_CODEC_ID_H264), that just returns NULL.

I created a stack overflow post with more details about it:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66462326/ffmpeg-av-hwdevice-ctx-create-returns-enomem
What am I possibly be missing here?

Thanks!

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential to Ross Video.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by replying to this message. Please also delete all copies. Thank you.