[Libav-user] Do we need license from Dolby to use ac3, eac-3 decoding in FFmpeg

drwho drwho at infidigm.net
Wed Aug 10 19:08:01 EEST 2022

If you are paying royalties, you might get away with using ffmpeg and
just not tell them.  You will have to read you license agreement.  Dolby
is concerned about quality.  As long as the product passes
certification, Dolby might never know you are using ffmpeg.

Dolby's latest atmos decoding library is a massive pile of shit. The
library is not re-entrant and can not be multi threaded.  It is useless
for modern multicore arm SoCs.  ffmpeg is highly superior.

Jon