[Libav-user] Custom data in AVPacket or AVFrame

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Feb 15 17:59:48 EET 2022

Dan Egnor (12022-02-15):
> (What a gruff answer!)

How is it relevant?

> Caveat: I'm no expert, I'm also bumbling my way into this world, but:
>
> My understanding is that the packet "side data" and the frame "side data"
> are distinct universes, one is not copied to the other, which is why the
> approach you're trying doesn't work.

Metadata are strings, and usually have no clearly-defined semantic for
applications.

Side data are structured and have a standardized semantic.

> You might look into the "reordered_opaque" field.

Absolutely not, reordered_opaque is carried through a decoder or an
encoder but not through the bitstream.

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022, 5:53 AM Nicolas George <george-ls1+KW1iHyU at public.gmane.org> wrote:

Top-posting is forbidden on this list. If you do not know what it means,
look it up.

--
  Nicolas George