[Libav-user] Creating Panned MP3 Clips

Terry Corbet tcorbet at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 3 23:14:54 EET 2023

>         Nope, your software can't do it.
>
>         Use ffmpeg's stereotools filter with asendcmd. Supports
>         runtime changing of parameters.
>

>     Thanks for suggestion! Yes, fully automatic panning on variable
>     length clips probably not easy to automate in CinGG
>     (even in bath mode). But I opened said filter (stereotools) and
>     apparently I can set cingg plugin keyframes for its internal
>     parameters ..
>
>     I do not think we have timeline support for ff filters, but does
>     this system offer any advantage in our case?
>

>  Timeline and runtime changeable parameters are different things, they
> are not same.
>
> Timeline just disables/bypass processing in certain time frames. While
> runtime parameters can be changed at any time frame.
> But parameters can also be slowly interpolated so that no artifacts
> appear upon changes.

The attached Windows bat file with comments represents the present state
of my solution to the requirements.  While obtaining the mid-point of
the input audio file via a string of unix commands is workable, I had
really hoped that there would be some global variable or macro providing
the duration.  I have not been able to find it and having to invoke
ffmpeg twice to get the job done is not ideal.

I am happy that you pointed me in the direction of using the ffmpeg
executable, but as I can imagine scope creep, I am not adverse to going
back to my attempt to write the solution as a C program if that would be
the better way to obtain the duration(s) of the input(s).

Thank you again.