[Ffmpeg-devel] ratecontrol advice

Matthew Hodgson matthew
Fri Jul 29 01:34:24 CEST 2005

Hi Dan,

Thanks for responding... on re-reading my original mail, I realise that it
may have been a bit confused^Wverbose; for the end problem I have is
ironically *not* that static images take a long time to resolve, but the
opposite - my ffmpeg tends towards single large keyframes, which don't
subsequently get updated at all by any predictive frames!  Instead, I
actually want the blur-convergence behaviour, in the hope that it'll
reduce the average size of the frames :)

What settings are you using to get the blur-convergence behaviour?

When avoiding it, I've been using qmin=3, i_q_factor=2.0, and qdiff=15
without strict VBV ratecontrol, which gives me huge I-frames every GOP,
and empty P-frames in between.  I'm trying to find a way of reducing the
size of those I-frames whilst not compromising the minimum quantisation of
I & P frames for normal talking-head style content.

thanks;

Matthew.