[FFmpeg-devel] flashsvenc.c - sampling block size too low

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 18 22:16:54 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:59:05PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
[...]
> > hmm, i would have expected more from the anti spam features of wikipedia
> > and from the ffmpeg developers, that is you are defeated by a bunch of
> > scripts written by spammers
> > its not that these should be particularely difficult to detect IMO
>
> It's no fun at all and obviously an arms race...

if you use existing unflexible anti spam tools(spam assasin and such) then
yes
if you use flexible tools like bayesian filters or hand written scripts
then no
just think about it, 1 spam filter everyone is using, its trivial for the
spammers to adapt, but they wont adapt to a simple script which is specific
to multimediawiki
or to look at it at a larger scale, there are few spammers and many many
more non spammers using the sites, if every site would use their own
unique spam filtering system the spammers could never adapt to it ...

> That said, I have managed to reduce spamming on a phpbb forum by adding
> a custom "I am not a spammer checkbox" at account creation.

see, thats exactly what i meant :)
the spammers dont have and never will have tools which are specialized
to each site, a few simple changes and they are left to manual spamming
which you wont prevent with CAPCHAs, subscriber only checks or even
"contact me and ill create an account ..."

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin