[FFmpeg-devel] flashsvenc.c - sampling block size too low

Mike Melanson mike
Fri May 18 22:28:57 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> if you use existing unflexible anti spam tools(spam assasin and such) then
> yes
> if you use flexible tools like bayesian filters or hand written scripts
> then no
> just think about it, 1 spam filter everyone is using, its trivial for the
> spammers to adapt, but they wont adapt to a simple script which is specific
> to multimediawiki
> or to look at it at a larger scale, there are few spammers and many many
> more non spammers using the sites, if every site would use their own
> unique spam filtering system the spammers could never adapt to it ...

Getting OT, but I doubt that a Bayesian filtering method would work on a
Wiki. I wrote about this once:

  http://multimedia.cx/eggs/wiki-counterspam/

> see, thats exactly what i meant :)
> the spammers dont have and never will have tools which are specialized
> to each site, a few simple changes and they are left to manual spamming
> which you wont prevent with CAPCHAs, subscriber only checks or even
> "contact me and ill create an account ..."

I'm glad you're warming up to the idea of the MultimediaWiki (or are you?).

Another good counterspam measure would be to have a delay period between
when a user registers and can first post. Most of the spam (and, much
worse, out and out vandalism) we have seen so far is clearly of an
automated nature. Throwing in a delay between reg. and posting will
probably encourage them to move on to a simpler target.

I hear that there are plugins to do this. I just need a spare afternoon
to investigate it.

--
	-Mike Melanson