[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 16-bit component library

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 25 23:39:20 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:41:05PM -0500, erik98 at sunflower.com wrote:
> Pursuant to a conversation on the list with Michael Niedermayer, I have
> decided to propose a more generic library that supports both 8 and 16 bit
> components for pixels, and for generic conversion of one format to another.
> Because the revamping of such a fundamental data structure is a significant
> undertaking of time and effort on my part, I don't wish to spend too much
> time working on stuff people won't need. Thus, I have decided to present my
> initial API draft for feedback.
> What I am looking for is comments on the basic functionality, and API
> usability.
> Does it provide sufficient abstraction? Does it support common programing
> tasks and data access paradigms in people's experience? What would you add
> or remove?
>
> What I am not interested in is compile errors, formatting errors, spelling
> errors, and other such trivial items which will be dealt with later when I
> submit the files as patch for approval.
>
> My hope is that this proposal will help crystallize the community's
> thinking on this issue, so I can then move ahead with greater conviction.

this is very significantly too complex

what we need is a generic pix format descriptor structure and a function to
read and one to write these pixels and the existing code should be
changed to fall back to using them if no other convertion function is
available

everything else should be in seperate patches, keeping
changes small makes it much much easier for us to review and you to write
them ...

and after we have a simple generic struct+read+write(+other parts _needed_)
in svn then we can look again and see if there is anything else which would
be usefull

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus