[FFmpeg-devel] GOM Media Player

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Mar 24 19:59:19 CET 2008

Thanks for helping investigate, Carl Eugen!

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:41:07AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > I've been contacted by Ethan Park, the GOM Media Player product manager
> > from Gretech Corporation, see http://gomplayer.com.  GOM Media Player is
> > part of the blacklisted projects on the MPlayer projects page and we
> > have issue112 about their LGPL violations in our tracker.
> >
> > Ethan Park tells me that they fixed all issues.  Indeed their program
> > now has the following text in the about box:
> >
> >   Video encoder included in this program is based on
> >   FFmpeg(http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net), and FFmpeg is licensed
> >   under LGPL. For LGPL license, please refer to LGPL.TXT in the program
> >   directory. Modified FFmpeg source can be obtained from
> >   http://gomdevel.gomtv.com.
> >
> > Indeed LGPL.TXT contains the LGPL 2.1 and at the URL you can download a
> > zip file with sources which among other things seems to contain a
> > cut-down version of libavcodec and libavutil before r6576 (somebody
> > should investigate this further, maybe there are interesting changes).
>
> The modified source does not contain any license file, AFAICS.
> Some files are older than r4764, but since the FSF adress is changed, it's
> difficult to say.
> The most obvious change is that the source contains the following files:
> skl_dct.h
> skl_dct.c
> i386/skl_dct_sse.asm
> i386/skl_dct_sse2.asm
> i386/skl_fdct_mmx.asm
> i386/skl_fdct_sse2.asm
> i386/skl_nasm.h
>
> Except for the fdct files, they contain the following license header:
>
> /********************************************************
>  * Some code. Copyright (C) 2003 by Pascal Massimino.   *
>  * All Rights Reserved.      (http://skal.planet-d.net) *
>  * For Educational/Academic use ONLY. See 'LICENSE.TXT'.*
> /*
>
> I couldn't find a LICENSE.TXT file, so I think there still are issues.

Both FDCT files are licensed under the GPL, not the LGPL.  Therefore
lots more stuff will fall under the GPL.  I'm sure we will stumble over
more issues if we investigate further.

There is no mention of changes to FFmpeg code, at least none that I
could find.  However, I still have only had a very quick look so far.

Diego