[FFmpeg-devel] Experimental MSVC port

pross at xvid.org pross
Thu Mar 27 10:37:53 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:13:50PM +0000, Ramiro Polla wrote:
> Here is what I had written up this morning:
> Porting FFmpeg to MSVC is not *that* hard. But making a maintainable port is.
> The intention on this project is to clearly define what changes are needed
> to make FFmpeg work and pass regression tests with MSVC, and stop all
> the FUD around MSVC. Well, not all FUD, but most.
> The 2008 Express edition has been released and it still
> contains the most well-known problems:
[snip]

I prefer to describe these as 'incompatibilities' rather than 'problems'.
Why? MSVC currently implements a subset of C99. This subset differs from the
subset of C99 that is currently used by FFmpeg.  These incompatibilities are
*not* restricted to MSVC; older and discontinued compilers will suffer from
these incompatibilities too.

> For asm, rewrite the inline into Intel-syntax under #ifdef.

This is unwarranted, and would make the resulting patchset harder to maintain.
There are tools amd scripts that can perform the transformation automatically.
Search the web for "a2i".

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)