[FFmpeg-devel] GPL licence break (MovieGate)

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Mar 31 15:25:54 CEST 2008

I would appreciate if you could refrain from top-posting in
communications with me.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 08:09:17PM +0100, Christophe Ducommun wrote:
> I am the developer of MovieGate and I have seen this issue about a
> L(GPL) violation issue
> about MovieGate.
>
> https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue352
>
> I am not very familiar with the GPL licence and I want to know exactly
> what I need to change to be fully compliant with the GPL licence and
> MovieGate.

I find it quite astounding that you start selling your shareware program
that is based on FFmpeg/MEncoder without reading the licenses of these
programs.  Are you sure you are allowed to do what you are doing?  Are
you sure you do not have to split your earnings with the authors of
FFmpeg/MEncoder?  Are you sure you are not committing a crime?

Unfortunately this attitude is not at all uncommon.  Still it is IMNSHO
unforgivable.  Would you buy a house or a car without going over the
fine print in the contract?  Would you sign any contract at all without
knowing what obligations it entails for you?

> Actually MovieGate include an Universal binary of ffmpeg in the bundle
> of MovieGate.
> This binary is compiled from SVN rev 6244 and I don't have change
> anything in the source of ffmpeg.
>
> I have some questions :
> 1) Can I include a binary of ffmpeg in the bundle of my application ?
> 2) Can I build and distribute myself a binary of ffmpeg for my
> application ?
> 3) What kind of information about ffmpeg do I need to add on my Website ?
>
> I am sorry to break the GPL licence, and want to fix this issue as soon
> as possible.
> I will release a new version of my software but I need some help to tell
> me what do I need to change.

What you need to do now is

1) read the LGPL v2.1,
2) read the GPL v2,
3) read the FAQ of those licenses.

That should put you in a position to satisfy all licensing terms with
your program.  Sorry, I cannot be bothered to spell out all these things
for you here, unless you wish to hire my consulting services on the
matter (which are available).  It gets tiresome to repeat things, and it
ends up being more work and back and forth that you would initially
imagine.

The fact that you have contacted us before we contacted you will be
interpreted as a sign of good will.  Let me/us know when you have fixed
your license violations.  You can also contact me with further questions
*after* you have read the above documents.

best regards

Diego