[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Fri Feb 18 19:24:30 CET 2011

Le decadi 30 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, Luca Barbato a ?crit?:
> - make containers that couldn't be trusted use parsers. (using caps to
> trigger it? )
> - move all the guessing/heuristic code in a single file, possibly in
> avformat, and make those functions public.
> - use the function in ffmpeg/ffplay/ffserver/examples
>
> Does it sound that wrong?

Before I try to make a comment, I would like to be absolutely sure to have
the facts right, so can you please confirm or correct me:

A parser is a partial decoder, that interprets the bitstream just as much as
necessary to extract some information about frame boundaries and reordering,
without doing any actual pixel decoding.

Is that right? Is there any piece of information that a parser
computes/returns that a decoder does not compute/return?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George