[FFmpeg-devel] mutlithreading in ffmpeg?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 27 11:52:43 CEST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:14:40PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:57:37PM -0700, Frank Barchard wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Reimar Döffinger
> > <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:

> > > Frame-multithreaded decoding for theora is already in FFmpeg AFAIK...
> > >

> > You'll need to try Fate with and without threading to detect the difference.
> >
> > I gave ffmpeg threading a quick try on Windows, but the configure script
> > doesn't support static pthreads.
> > I'll try again with the patch
> > http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/deps/third_party/ffmpeg/patches/to_upstream/01_static_pthread_O2.patch?revision=65546&content-type=text%2Fplain
>
> This patch looks like it would break if libavcodec would be linked
> with an application that itself also used static pthreads

Not to mention that it will crash if an application dynamically loads
libavcodec and then unloads it before exiting (i.e. the atexit code
will no longer exist when the program exits).
That still doesn't change that the statement that this still does not
clarify the statement that it happens with ffmpeg-mt but not ffmpeg,
and in general it's not a useful bug-report.