[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg.org Website Suggestion

Peter Ross pross at xvid.org
Thu Oct 6 15:16:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:26:22PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> Víctor Paesa wrote:
> > That page is to show *software* projects that are based on FFmpeg.
> > Is nice to hear that FFmpeg happily processes so many videos, but
> > plain usage of FFmpeg as a convertor does not qualify (for example,
> > Youtube is well known to use FFmpeg, and is not listed there).
> >
> Hm...
> I must admit I thought that this page was to show how valuable FFmpeg
> is, by showing (representative) use-cases?
>
> Since Youtube heavily relies on being able to transcode videos, wouldn't
> that qualify it as a project "based" on FFmpeg?
>
> Just recently, I gave a talk at the EuropeanaTech conference [1], and
> wanted to present examples where Free Software is used in "well known"
> (and considered professional) projects. Youtube's use of FFmpeg would
> have been great, but I couldn't find any reliable source proving it, so
> I couldn't mention it :(

IIRC, Mike gathered that intelligence on Google through reverse engineering.
Somebody mentioned somewhere, sometime, that YouTube uses/used a third-party
transcoding product, that itself used ffmpeg for input. Meh.

> Since I am trying to promote the image and use of Free Software in the
> domain of broadcasters and archives, I know that the the presence of
> "representative names" in the project list on FFmpeg's website would
> tremendously be helpful for that task!
>
> For example:
> I'm pretty sure that BBC is using FFmpeg (at least I think there's a
> reason for some of their employees hanging around on these mailing lists
> ;)   ).
>
> FFmpeg *is* a high-quality, professional tool! If users like e.g. BBC
> would be mentioned somehow in the projects-page it'd definitely have a
> positive impact on the *perceived* quality and professionalism of FFmpeg.
>
> What about another section on the projects-page, labeled something like
> "Projects or institutions relying on FFmpeg", or "Reference use-cases"?

How about a list of online service provides that 'use' FFmpeg in delivering
some form service.

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)