[FFmpeg-devel] VC-1 Interlaced Hardware decoding

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 20:17:41 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Jeroen de Kleijn
<jeroen.de.kleijn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've done some more testing with the latest XBMC frodo beta 1 on Windows.
> This uses DXVA2 acceleration and also shows a problem at the specific scene
> change. Instead of the blocking artifacts, XBMC simply gets stuck at the
> scene change and toggles between buffers showing interlacing artifacts.
>
> As Hendrik mentions the latest MPC-HC does not show a problem and plays the
> sample perfectly using DXVA2. The difference between XBMC (windows) and
> MPC-HC is that XBMC uses FFMpeg 0.10.2 and MPC-HC is much closer to the
> master (This is correct is it not Hendrik?). The OpenElec 2.0 with XBMC of
> my initial tests uses FFMpeg 0.10.5.
>
> From this I also believe the problem not to be with XVBA, but more likely a
> code change that is in the FFMpeg master and not in the 0.10 branch. I have
> no idea which commit to backport and building OpenElec with FFMpeg master
> is probably not the easiest thing.

The relevant changes were introduced on October 19th, which is not in
any release version yet.
Note that the "new" field-interlaced support for HWAccel decoding i
contributed was only successfully tested on DXVA2. On VAAPI on linux
it did not seem to solve the issue, and VDPAU uses a different code
path and does not benefit from it (and how your XVBA was implemented,
i do not know)

The revision for this are b87ff3449662e4f6b8415471dd4b7c76f06fbcda and
33f2a4942380184f3a28cbf2a36366c8ed105232, if you want to test on XBMC
on Windows.

Considering there was a 0.11 and a 1.0 since 0.10, its really quite
old now. This is why i really don't like XBMCs ffmpeg update policy,
it always ships with severly outdated versions.

- Hendrik