[FFmpeg-devel] c99wrap.exe and c99conv.exe

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:34:03 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 01:24:25PM -0500, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 21/11/2012 1:07 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > I know that the tool is also available at
> > https://github.com/libav/c99-to-c89/
> > but libav is not ffmpeg and its a gamble for us to depend on this as
> > it may or may not work with ffmpeg in the future.
> > Both ffmpeg could change and need changes to the tool as well as
> > changes to the tool could cause breakage with ffmpeg.
>
> Libav is merely the name of the Github org it's under, and does not affect
> what it is, which is a GENERIC tool. So please, take off your tinfoil hat,
> and stop obsessing over the fact that the URL contains 'libav' in it, and
> drop the conspiracy theories.

huh??

The original question seems relatively legitimate to ask IMO, from a
technical point of view, let me explain:

Having it under the Libav project means it has some link with it. It
appears, according to what you say, to be only due to "simplicity" because
developers are shared between projects, and it seems to be the only place
where it is actually used, or at least meant to be used. But, It should be
generic© enough since it is outside the repository (according to the name,
or what you say). Still, it is tied to the Libav project somehow, so
nothing actually prevents its developers to add some specific hacks to
make it work with Libav at some point, which might be incompatible with
FFmpeg (or any other project using it as a generic tool). And you know
better than me that the original code *had* these hacks.

Now of course, if Ronald & you tell us it's meant to be used as a generic
tool, I think we can all live with Libav name in an URL, because that is
not the issue this thread was about, but about why it is linked to another
project.

--
Clément B.