[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3: Final testing - How to proceed?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Oct 24 11:02:38 CEST 2012

On 10/23/2012 02:33 PM, Peter B. wrote:

>> I need some statistics about the effects of various things. GOP,
>> multipass, slice counts, ...
>> I need them to decide on defaults and to know if ffv1.3 can/need/should
>> be changed radically or if the current design is fine.
>> one example of how this should look is for example:
>>
>>                     v1  v3 4slices v3 16slices v3 context1  2pass
>> context=1 ... average worst best
>> thisrgbvideo        +1% +2% +0.2%  -0.5% ...
>>            +1.2%
>> thisyuv444video      ...
>> thisyuv420video
>> thishighmotionvideo
>> thislowmotionvideo
>> average
>> worst
>> best
>>
>> the values in the table cells would here then be the filesize
>> difference of gop=1 vs gop=12 for example
>>
>> based on this we can then see what effect the gop size has, if there
>> are some unexpected behaviors, ...
>

> My testscript already produces output useful for this, but needs some
> slight modifications to make things easier and complete.
> I'll make these modifications and report here ASAP.
In case, anyone wants to sneak-peek or play around with the filesize
numbers already, here's an example of the produced stats (raw) in CSV
format for CIF material in Derf's collection:
http://download.das-werkstatt.com/pb/mthk/FFv1_3-stats-Derf_CIF.tar.bz2

The first line contains the uncompressed filesize, then filesizes for
FFv1.1 parameters, followed by the combinations for FFv1.3.
That's 121 lines per input video.

I'm still looking for a reasonable way of computing the desired results
based on these values, as it has to be scripted somehow due to amount of
data.

Will try to do this quickly, but I'm planning to import this data into
some sort of database, in order to quickly perform these calculations
(Clicking through spreadsheets sucks and takes too long)

Regards,
Pb