[FFmpeg-devel] Fork and customize ffmpeg

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Fri Aug 30 00:59:17 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:24:01PM +0800, Bui Phuc Duyet (Francesc) wrote:
> Hi FFMpeg developers,
>
> First, I'd like to be sorry if my email may contain non-technical terms
> because I'm a student doing some research on FFMpeg.
>
> My final year research is about energy-efficient video, in which it should
> output a color-mapped [I] frame (in MPEG, MP4) rather than the original
> output. The colormapping (alternating the output frame's color) should be
> done in ffmpeg's function (may it be avcodec_decode_video2?).

Do you need access to mpeg video decoding internals, or you can do your
operation based on the video images only? If you need access to mpeg
internals, hack into the mpeg decoder (see libavcodec), otherwise, just
write a filter (libavfilter). MP4 is the container, I doubt you'll need
that for what you want, but it's located in libavformat.

> Because I am such a beginner and use ffmpeg as source for research, may you
> suggest a developer guide on how ffmpeg is structured, and how to tackle
> the output problem as I mentioned?

http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Detailed-description

This summarizes pretty well where things are. Then git grep is your
friend.

Clément B.