[FFmpeg-devel] attribute_deprecated int avpicture_deinterlace ??

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Fri Nov 29 15:18:07 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hendrik Leppkes" <h.leppkes at gmail.com>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] attribute_deprecated int avpicture_deinterlace ??

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 30.11.2013, at 15:37, Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On date Friday 2013-11-29 08:30:51 -0500, Don Moir encoded:

If post-processing means it's a filter and belongs in lavfi, then everything in swscale and resample should also be in lavfi because
those are post-processes as well. Don't take me literally though :)

Just saying that deinterlace is special case of post-processing. In other words, it is more or less mandatory to produce the proper
frame image. Nothing else in lavfi is needed to produce the proper frame image and those are just after effects.

Now if you need to call some code to do essentially the same thing, there is a procedure for it and you already know that and you
already have the library structure in place. I suppose one person decided it was a good idea to phase avpicture_deinterlace out and
move the functionality of that to the sore thumb lavfi library so we can burdoned with carrying that baggage around. You (whoever)
are proposing taking something that is elegantly simple and moving it to a library that is anything but.