[FFmpeg-devel] Areas needing work

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 00:17:22 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 04:48:24PM +0000, Timothy Gu wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> wrote:
> [...]
> >

> > > * our fate server lacks the ability to display a user specified release
> > >   this makes the output look quite unwieldy
> > >   Timothy was working on a rewrite
> > >

> > I haven't touched that thing in a few months but it's in a pretty good
> > shape. With a few minor updates it should be good to go at least on
> > fate-beta.ffmpeg.org or something like that. There are still a few minor
> > things I want to fix (like minirep/minilog, warning diff (is it really
> > useful now since most boxes are using make -jx and testing order changes
> > every time?), and some minor styling issue).
>
> ok,
> do you have your own server where i should make
> fate-beta.ffmpeg.org point to or its something that needs to be setup
> on the fate / or some other server ?

I do have a server I can use for this purpose but i wonder how I am going
to get the FATE data submitted by the boxes if I'm using mine… (which is
another headache when writing my server)

Right now I can get the data manually by wgetting files (like
http://fate.ffmpeg.org/aarch64-linux-qemu-ubuntu-gcc-4.8/20150406220127/summary),
but that's a pain in the ass. (Plus those files should not be public
anyway.)

[...]

> > and it is not clear to me how the servers are
> >   administered (who pays for it? who has access to it? who has access to
> the
>
> main servers are provided by arpi

You mean [git.]ffmpeg.org?

I know this has been discussed before, but moving to a 3rd-party hosting
service like GitHub Pages might make this significantly easier. Who knows
what repos are still hosted on git.ffmpeg.org?

fate server by baptiste

Baptiste doesn't seem to be active these days. Should I contact him
personally?
[...]

> >   hosting company's setting page?) [2]
>
> my knowledge of the hosting details is limited

OK

> > - Git merges: when I first came to this project merges are still called
> > "Merge
> >   from remote tracking branch 'qatar/master'." WTF is qatar? Now of
> course
> >   that is not a problem any more, but the merges remain undocumented on
> any
> >   official documentation I could find (maybe I didn't look hard
> enough?). If
> >   the behavior itself is not known publicly how can anyone help?
>
> They are probably undocumented on the FFmpeg side but iam not sure
> what to document beyond what is in the git manual page

Adding a dedicated wiki page on Libav?

> - Coverity: one can easily hook it up to a FATE box.
>
> maybe, but there are some special considerations
> * as many as possible features, external libs, ... have to be enabled
>   as coverity only tests what is actually build

[...]

> so a simple cronjob seems better suited /easier than fate

Well that. I just mentioned FATE since compiling is a part of FATE and one
can just use that to submit to Coverity.

but if you want to take coverity build/uploads over i can provide
> you with the details needed to upload and what is currently enabled
> (i dont want to loose testing for (m)any components)
>
> > But anyway, I can volunteer to take over coverage.ffmpeg.org. But again
> who
> > should I find to discuss this thing in detail? Michael? Clément? I don't
> > know.
>
> coverage is 100% Cléments area, i dont know if he wants/needs any
> volunteers for it

OK. See I didn't know that.

[...]

Timothy