[FFmpeg-devel] Change bitrate on-the-fly PoC (Patch)

Llorx dallorx at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 02:04:09 EEST 2016

Hi Ronald,

Well, this is a PoC. There are a lot of ways to implement this under a
security context, so that's not a problem. For example, using ZeroMQ as
Bodecs Bela says in the other thread, feature already implemented in ffmpeg
as you can see here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#zmq_002c-azmq

As I said, this is just an undocumented-bad-written PoC, to get the point
and argue about the feature, not argue about the bad implemented code. How
to implement the feature is something we can discuss about later.

Also, I doubt that every user build needs 99% of the filters, but they are
there, just in case someone needs it. Why this quantity of filters,
formats, codecs, etc? Because ffmpeg is a video processor software, it
needs the maximum number of features, just in case.

This feature is something some people already asked for (I found some of
them when I googled about this some time ago) and I implemented it about 2
years ago because I needed it too. Now I just want to release the code to
the community as I had people contacting me to get a copy. The people that
do not need it just don't enable it, as I don't enable channelsplit in my
streams, for example.

I think that this feature belongs to ffmpeg as a good % of users use ffmpeg
as a live streaming software, including major videomixing software
companies, using it as their main live video publisher software (See vMix).
We have to understand that currently ffmpeg is not only a video converting
software, but a live stream solution for most users, so it needs to have
live streaming features, like other propietary video streaming software has
(See Adobe Media Encoder. Altough I don't like how they implemented it).

I use this feature a lot since I created it about 2 years ago, and now I
just want to share it, as I know that some people will benefit from this
because there is not any solution (and best of all, opensource solution)
for these situations.

Thank you for your point of view. I hope I made myself clear.

Jorge Fuentes