[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request Apple M2

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com
Tue Feb 7 22:19:12 EET 2023

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 6:24 AM Thilo Borgmann <thilo.borgmann at mail.de> wrote:
> Martin pointed out we don't need an M2 for FATE as the instruction sets are equal on both machines.

It may be worth noting that while the M1 and M2 have the same
instruction set, there is no guarantee the video processing blocks are
identical.  At a minimum we know that the ProRes acceleration supports
8K resolutions in the M2.

I got burned by a subtle change in behavior for videotoolbox between
Intel and M1, so it's possible there are comparable differences
between M1 and M2.  If the tests include validating hardware
acceleration then there may still be benefits in running the tests on
both platforms.

Devin

--
Devin Heitmueller, Senior Software Engineer
LTN Global Communications
w: https://ltnglobal.com  e: devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com