[FFmpeg-soc] [soc]: r1649 - qcelp/qcelpdec.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Dec 23 00:07:59 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 07:36:04PM -0300, Reynaldo Verdejo wrote:
> Hi Diego
> Hi Diego
>
> On Dec 22, 2007 6:49 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 09:30:40PM +0100, reynaldo wrote:
> > >
> > > Log:
> > > Removing ununsed var
> >
> > Remove unused var.
> >
> > I find using gerunds (-ing form) in commit messages rather awkward.  The
> > connotation for me is that the action is still taking place, but
> > obviously removing an unused variable is not a complex change that is
> > not yet finished.
>
> I don't like this form better than you do, I would have said 'Removes an
> unused var' as I was used to but you claimed it was invalid some days ago.
> I will need to do some thinking over this issue. Thanks for the hint though.

Dont argue with diego, its pointless.
"Removes an unused variable." is perfectly correct, its a pure bikeshed issue

This is similar with doxygen comments where IIRC the spelling&grammar nazis
fiercly argued for their english case, time and person forms to be the only
correct. Totally opposing everyone including the official documentation
from sun about java doc. That is to quote it:
---
    Use 3rd person (descriptive) not 2nd person (prescriptive).
    The description is in 3rd person declarative rather than 2nd person imperative.
    Gets the label.       (preferred)       Get the label.       (avoid)
---

also theres:
---
    Okay to use phrases instead of complete sentences, in the interests of brevity.
    This holds especially in the initial summary and in @param tag descriptions.
---
and
---
    The description begins with a lowercase letter if it is a phrase (contains no verb),
    or an uppercase letter if it is a sentence. End the phrase with a period only if
    another phrase or sentence follows it.
---

While IIRC our spell masters want full sentances and periods everywhere no
matter what effect it has on readability ...
But as said dont argue with them theres no sense in it, they are correct
always were always will be. Just be carefull if you ever work on another
project there the eternal and absolute truth might be different!

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras