[FFmpeg-soc] [soc]: r1649 - qcelp/qcelpdec.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Dec 23 16:25:51 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 10:17:48PM -0300, Reynaldo Verdejo wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> On Dec 22, 2007 8:07 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Dont argue with diego, its pointless.
>
> To be fair, I've asked Diego to correct my grammar/spelling several times. Most
> of what I know about English is self taught so I have come to appreciate his
> comments as I greatly appreciate yours about my coding. Thanks for the sheer
> though but I'm sure he meant well.

Sure, no doubt that he did. It just becomes very tireing to read and deal with
all the nitpicking, and i dont just mean diego. Others are doing this as well
For real spelling and grammar errors its fine i can live with that. But IMO
the 3rd person vs. 2nd person stuff is purely a question of style and taste.

This makes developers end up wasting time thinking about the tense to use for
commit messages instead of thinking about the code, this is not good!

This all reminds me of an experiment where german teachers took an exam
intended for pupils. And the results were graded by other german teachers
while beliving that the exams were done by pupils. The scary truth is that
several teachers failed the exam and the average was not good either.

IMHO Languages are more an art than a science, what one likes is more a
question of personal taste than anything else.

Use the "wrong" tense in some exam and you fail, use american english instead
of british with a british fanatic teacher (or other way around) and you fail
as well. (at least that is my personal experience from my school time ...)

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire