[FFmpeg-soc] swscale ideas

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Jul 10 07:15:51 CEST 2008

Keiji Costantini wrote:
> This is my plan:
>
> 1)Make a C-only version of sws_scale, usable asap. No mmx, altivec, asm
> code here.
> 2)Reinsert optimized code in a non-intrusive way, to gain speed. It
> would be possible for non-bitexact code to be disabled.

Pros:

- A clean start
- getting this lgpl shouldn't take ages
- all the hacks will be removed in a single sweep

Cons:

- Even larger deal of code shuffling.
- Adding back the arch specific code could lead to issues for arches we
don't test often (bfin, sparc)

I'm ok with it, but I want to have all the code commented.

> Are there suggestions/corrections/objections/fire/cola to this plan?

I'm looking forward to see it, you'll get your share of cola later.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member