[FFmpeg-soc] AAC Encoding - Where we stand, what's left

Benjamin Larsson banan at ludd.ltu.se
Tue Jul 7 09:55:50 CEST 2009

Alex Converse wrote:
> I'd like to take a minute to discuss the status of the AAC encoder and
> where it is going.
>
> [...]
> So I'm wondering what other people have in mind (or completed but
> tucked out of sight) for this code base?
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex Converse

Hi, I think what you are saying sounds reasonable. Developing an encoder
within main FFmpeg doesn't offer the flexibility that is needed for a
really competitive implementation. I think people fail to understand how
hard it is to generalize the functions needed for perceptual audio
codecs. Regarding base for a new encoder I'm a bit divided as both
options have lots of proprietary code in them.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson