[FFmpeg-user] piping images into ffmpeg

Akilan R akilan27 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:13:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a C program which generates a series of images and I wanted to make
them into a video which should be streamed in real time or stored in a file.
While reading up ffmpeg documentation I came across repeatedly that ffmpeg
can take input from named pipes.

My question is in what format should the files given into the pipe should be
and how to input the files into the pipe.

I tried this:

$ cat hello-*.ppm | ffmpeg -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -r 25 -i pipe: -r 25
output.mp4

but video was bad. (Here the input comes from already stored files as i was
testing; once it works i'll pipe in output from my program like this or
using named pipes.)
There is no problem with image files as this one worked flawlessly:

$ ffmpeg -f image2 -r 25 -i hello-%03d.ppm -r 25 output.mp4

--
அகிலன் (Akilan R)
[ blog.akilan.in ]