[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Sun Dec 11 19:08:33 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:

>> There should be automated static nightly builds.
>

> Finally someone suggest a probably-feasible solution to the problem.
>
> If you're going to do that, though, yes make them statically linked and make
> sure you include everything. Host it in some obscure country and the job's a
> good 'un. If you don't do that, you will end up with endless repeats of this
> thread as people read that "ffmpeg can do Task A", then discover that Task A
> is not actually included in most of the ffmpeg installs that actually exist
> in the world.

Just to prepare you, FFmpeg does not come with the following:

libmp3lame (MP3 encoding)
libx264 (H.264 encoder)
libfaac (AAC encoder)

Again, legal issues as far as I know.

You'll need to compile these libs separately (as static), and then
point FFmpeg's configure to them. I usually compile FFmpeg with these
as a minimum, because these formats/codecs are widely used. In fact,
FFmpeg would be a bit less useful to me without them.