[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg for rate adaptive experiments

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Tue Nov 15 11:11:34 CET 2011

Hi

I am looking for a simple way to visualize an encoding scenario where the target bitrate varies with time.
The typical use case is a rate adaptive video for a realtime interactive service where the bitrate is determined by channel conditions. Typically it should be possible to change the bitrate once per second or possibly more often.
I would like to visualize packet loss and delay as well, in short I want to demo the cases
1) No rate adaptation e.g 384kbps
2) Rate adaptation e.g between 64 and 384kpbs
The demo should give answers to the questions how is video quality affect by the packet delay packet drops and the bitrate as a reult of the two approaches above, I get the the bitrate and delay traces from a proprietary system simulator.

Is there a possiblity to use ffmpeg for this purpose ?, alternatively is there an experimental platform out there that does something like the above ?.

/Ingemar
=================================
INGEMAR JOHANSSON  M.Sc.
Senior Researcher