[FFmpeg-user] how to ­get h264 stream from webc­am with hardware H264 en

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:52:33 CET 2012

On 12/21/12, Fing Cmo <fingcmo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl,
>
> Thanks for the response. I did not think this was top posting since I was
> asking you to clarify the command that you said worked for you in response
> to the question of this thread. Maybe I still don't know what top posting
> is :(
>
> As for hardware encoding being slower,  can you provide link of that
> conclusion.
> I am working on a benchmarking project to academically prove or disprove
> this in ARM chips with HW H264 accelerators.

All you can do is benchmark :)
I'm not entirely sure if the jury's still out with this one, but
http://www.behardware.com/articles/828-1/h-264-encoding-cpu-vs-gpu-nvidia-cuda-amd-stream-intel-mediasdk-and-x264.html
might help.
If a webcam can do "on board" dedicated h264 encoding that might still
be faster than passing it off to x264, but YMMV.
-r