[FFmpeg-user] any hardware accelerated h.264 encoder works with FFMPEG ?

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Dec 27 07:27:24 CET 2012

On Dec 27, 2012, at 4:07 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I´m doing casual HD H.264 re-encoding on a single-core Atom netbook and the
> speed is abysmal, around 1 frame per second.
>
> I´ve seen on Amazon.com some "h.264 encoder hardware accelerator" that
> plugs into a usb 2.0 port.
>
> My guess is that this is some DSP with the h.264 encding algorithm and that
> some custom and proprietary plugin designed to work with Windows and Mac
> commercial video editing apps makes use of it.
>
> The $1M dollar question, of course, is if FFMPEG can use those devices for
> H.264 compression offloading off the cpu. Or maybe the same could be
> accomplished by using the GPU? (on systems that have one that´s worth it).

I've used some of them both on Windows and OSX, afaik they are only usable with the software provided with them not with ffmpeg, although i seem to remember there where some efforts to get things going under linux.
With the provided software speed is Ok on an Atom, but quality is NOT, much less configuration possibilities then ffmpeg. Especially quality based encoding, -crf, is missing. I do have 2 of them if you're interested they are for sale.