[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg Stack Exchange site created! Please join.

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Thu Nov 1 20:28:26 CET 2012

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:34:21 -0600
Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just noticed this:
> http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/40292
> (a stack exchange (like Stack Overflow)) potential page for FFmpeg users.
>  Let's all join it so FFmpeg can have its own SO :)
> -r

What's wrong with superuser.com? The answers there seems to be ok. Will
this cause more fragmentation, or will it help concentrate questions?

Also, I firmly disagree with you about the sub-proposal [1] that the
libav project should be included in a FFmpeg Q&A site. These are
not the same projects, and including the libav project under
something called "FFmpeg" will not help in educating people that there
is a difference. There is a huge misconception among general users
about this. Just spend some time in #ffmpeg-user or trawl
ubuntuforums.org. Enough time is already spent in existing help sources
explaining this and why any given help does not work as expected with
their ffaux-ffmpeg.

As I do not use libav nor its bizarro-ffmpeg (in Ubuntu) I personally
can not and will not support questions related to it.

Finally, I propose the a new name: "FFmpeg: Please Show your Full
Command and the Complete Console Output Q&A". That's a joke, but it
would be nice to see it mentioned somewhere.

[1]
<http://discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/6071/should-the-proposal-name-be-modified-to-include-libav>