[FFmpeg-user] Encoding/Streaming MPEG-TS with PIDs changing over time (DVB-S Source)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 25 20:45:37 CET 2012

RFZ <andreasbernhofer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Is there a way to handle changing PIDs (e.g.
> force ffmpeg /mpegts demuxer to rescan PMT
> from time to time)?

This is the default behaviour.

The problem is:
How should ffmpeg (the application) know that
you changed the program and that the new data
it receives is not just data that should be
ignored?
(It is not unusual that program streams contain
several programs, one is chosen on startup.)

You would have to signal that you want to change
the recorded signal just as you signaled it to
the DVB receiving application.
It is possible (likely) that ffmpeg (the application)
does not currently support changing programs, but
MPlayer (and ffplay) of course support it, so it
is just a question of option reading.

The second problem is of course: How to signal
something to ffmpeg, but I believe this is
actually possible, some information is shown
in the status line iirc.

Carl Eugen