[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 04:10:21 CET 2012

On 11/22/2012 10:42 AM, Nicolas George wrote:

> AFAIK, ffplay and MPlayer will try to respect the frame rate they find in
> the stream (or the default they assume if it is not present). Therefore,
> they will not be able to "catch up" with the stream.
>
> ffmpeg ... -f sdl -
>
> should not have that feature, and therefore should be able to catch up.

For the sake of information, I checked and "ffmpeg ... -f sdl -" does
play the video as fast as the computer can,  and without audio.
So this is similar to mplayer's -benchmark mode,  however the video
latency with "ffmpeg ... -f sdl -" is still even worse than mplayer's
-benchmark mode, which isn't very good to begin with as far as realtime
low-delay video.

I wonder if I'm losing time in the TCP/HTTP buffers or process or maybe
it has to do with tcp window size.

Thanks again,

~Jesse