[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Nov 28 17:12:44 CET 2012

Le quintidi 5 frimaire, an CCXXI, Jesse Gordon a écrit :
> I wonder if I'm losing time in the TCP/HTTP buffers or process or
> maybe it has to do with tcp window size.

I believe the problem is in the ASF demuxer. For example, compare this:

f=asf; \
ffmpeg -re -f lavfi -i testsrc=r=10:n=1:s=160x120,crop=80:60:80:30 \
  -f $f - -pix_fmt yuv420p -f sdl - | \
./ffmpeg_g -probesize 2k -flags +low_delay -f $f -i - \
  -pix_fmt yuv420p -f sdl -

and the same with f=m4v instead of f=asf: the second (m4v) is smooth and has
almost no delay, the first is completely choppy and has a visible latency.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George