[FFmpeg-user] Sticky subtiles when hardcoding them with -filter_complex

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 29 19:48:46 CET 2012

Le nonidi 9 frimaire, an CCXXI, Tim Hughes a écrit :
> I've been attempting to use the experimental ffmpeg feature to burn
> bitmap subtitles following the example in the doc. Here's my commandline:
>
> ffmpeg.exe -probesize 1G -analyzeduration 200M -i VTS_01_1.VOB  -t 600 \
>   -fix_sub_duration -filter_complex "[0:6] negate [sub] ; [0:0] [sub] overlay" \
>   -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 3000k -b:a 160k -map 0:2 -ac 2 output.mp4
>
> It works correctly, apart from the problem that the subtitles never
> disappear during silence.  Each subtitle stays on screen until it is
> finally replaced by the next.  I've tried with and without the
> fix_sub_duration option, and the negate filter.

-fix_sub_duration is an input option. Did you try to put it before -i?

If it does not work, can you make an excerpt of the file available¹? It only
needs to be a few seconds long with two subtitles event. That may also help
to investigate the color problem (probably a palette issue).

To cut a VOB file, you just need to cut the file at 2048 octets boundaries;
I have no idea how to do that with windows.

This behaviour is a bit strange, though, as dvdsub, unlike dvbsub, have a
correct timing information.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George