[FFmpeg-user] AVCHD to QT and Avid

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Sep 29 00:20:22 CEST 2012

Thomas Worth <dev <at> rarevision.com> writes:

> > I've tested with FFmpeg, but the result was a file that
> > starts with a couple of frames white,

I can reproduce this,

> > and has repeated frames every now and then in QT player.

I wonder how this can be reproduced...

> > Besides Avid refuses to AMA to it.

Perhaps an AVID-specific atom is missing?
I cannot test this, but if you have a file with
similar characteristics that plays with AVID, you
could search for atoms and try to damage them until
AVID does not play the file anymore (but FFmpeg
does).

> > Input file here if you like it: http://wtrns.fr/grXVo5ikaUWgk
>
> The file you linked is compressed H.264 with B frames. I've
> never had luck with ffmpeg / FFmbc when rewrapping H.264 with
> B frames to MOV. Did you try MP4 with FFmbc? That's the only
> way I've gotten it to work without the playback problems you
> mention. ffmpeg still won't work even with MP4. You'll still
> get the white frames because of what seems to be a bug in the
> MOV muxer.

Could you confirm with a high certainty that this
was ever reported? (I ask because I think I only found
out now about this problem.)

> Carl, as a technical note the reason he is getting the white
> frames at the head with ffmpeg output is because of a bug in
> movenc.c. The the elst atom is being written with incorrect
> values because it is confused by the negative DTS delay with
> B frame media. Baptiste fixed this in FFmbc. The fix involves
> modifying the start_time value based on I believe first_dts
> and then adding packet.duration to it. I don't have the source
> in front of me, but if you compare the source of ffmbc.c and
> ffmpeg.c you'll see what I'm talking about.

The last sentence sounds extremely unlikely to me,
but see above...

Carl Eugen