[FFmpeg-user] Preserving perceived loudness when downmixing audio from 5.1 AC3 to stereo AAC

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 11:04:11 CEST 2013

You mean aformat?

> $ ffmpeg -i input -filter:a aresample=ocl=3 out3.wav
>
> As expected, the three output files are bit-identical.

Thanks for doing this testing, which I repeated here.

With
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20130630-git-ff130d7-wi
n32-static.7z which I was using up to now, out2.wav differs from the other
two. However, it's the only one equally loud as the input file.

With
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20130801-git-f118b41-wi
n32-static.7z the files are bit-identical as you found. However, all three
are now significantly softer than the original.

I don't think this is the desired outcome, to achieve unified audio
processing but with significant reduction in perceived volume in the
process. Is there any further testing I can do to help investigate and
hopefully improve this situation?