[FFmpeg-user] using show_entries returns more results that specified

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:15:41 CET 2013

On date Wednesday 2013-12-11 20:21:10 -0800, RealBumba wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for your answer, However I failed to make changes to my question when
> I posted the screenshot image of cmd ffprobe.(hence why the screenshot
> doesnt show *disposition* entry)
>
> I applied the same query you suggested with returns what is in the
> screenshot.
> /ffprobe -select_streams v -show_entries
> format=size,duration:stream=width,height -print_format json INPUT /
> And this query does fix the return of disposition, But this query still
> leaves empty wrapper *programs*, along with empty tag entries inside
> *streams* and *format*
>
> Why are these being returned?

When you select a section to print, all the containing sections are
enabled as well. In this case stream is contained in a program (a
program can contain multiple streams), and thus the container is
shown. It was meant to show streams informats from the programs
section, rather than just reference them, and this is a side effect.

About the empty tags container, yes that's probably a bug we should
fix.

Note that from the parsing side this should not cause problems, since
you can skip the unwanted data when processing the JSON. Is that a
problem for you?
--
FFmpeg = Fantastic and Forgiving Murdering Powerful EnGine